القصة

قطع بليسوورث

قطع بليسوورث



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

في عام 1833 تم تعيين روبرت ستيفنسون كبير المهندسين في خط لندن وبرمنغهام. كان هذا أول خط سكة حديد يصل إلى لندن وتضمن حل المشكلات الهندسية الصعبة. واحدة من أصعبها كانت في بليسوورث بالقرب من نورثامبتون. كان على فريق البحرية ستيفنسون شق طريقهم عبر 1.5 ميل من الصخور. تحت الطبقة العلوية من الحجر كان هناك طبقة سميكة من الطين وجدت تحتها كميات كبيرة من الماء. تم استخدام المحركات البخارية لضخ المياه وتم وضع قاطرتين عند كل طرف من طرفي القطع لسحب الصخور والطين المحفور. بينما كان هذا يحدث ، كان 800 رجل مشغولين بالحفر والدحرجة والتفجير. بحلول الوقت الذي تم فيه القطع ، تم استخدام أكثر من 3000 برميل من البارود. تم حساب أن أكثر من مليون ياردة مكعبة من المواد تم حفرها واستخراجها أو تحطيمها في Blisworth Cutting.


بليسوورث

Blidesworde (القرن الحادي عشر) Bliseworthe (القرن الثاني عشر) Bledesworth ، Blithesworth (القرن الثالث عشر) Blysworth ، Bleseworth (الرابع عشر في المائة).

تغطي أبرشية Blisworth مساحة 1980 فدانًا ، وتتنوع التربة من طين قوي إلى تربة مختلطة خفيفة وباتجاه الخشب طميية سوداء. الرعية تزخر بالحجر الجيري والحجر الحديدي وقد أزيلت كميات كبيرة من هذا الأخير للخام. تنتج الأرض محاصيل ممتازة. عدد السكان قريب من 800. محطة سكة حديد على الخط الرئيسي ل L. تقع على بعد حوالي ثلاثة أرباع ميل من القرية. لمدة عشر سنوات (حتى تم إنشاء الخط الفرعي بموجب قانون عام 1843) كانت بليسوورث هي محطة نورثامبتون. تمر قناة Grand Union عبر Blisworth وتمر إلى أبرشية Stoke Bruerne المجاورة عبر نفق طوله ميل ونصف. تم بناء هذا النفق في عام 1806 وكان المقاول - الذي كان يُعرف باسم "بارنز أوف بانبري" - رجلاً لا يستطيع القراءة أو الكتابة ، وقام بتنفيذ جميع حساباته وتقديراته من خلال قوة الذاكرة.

تحتوي القرية على العديد من المنازل التي تعود إلى القرن السابع عشر وأوائل القرن الثامن عشر ، ومعظمها من الحجر المختلط والحجر الحديدي ، مع أسقف من القش أو الألواح. حظيرة ذات سقف شديد الانحدار في الطرف الشرقي من القرية بها لوح في الجملون مكتوب عليه "1663 جي بي". يحتفظ عدد قليل من المنازل بنوافذها المعلقة ، ولكن في معظم الحالات تم تغيير النوافذ.

ويوجد بالقرية كنيسة معمدانية شيدت عام 1825 ، وأضيفت مقر إقامة للوزير ومقبرة عام 1865 ، وقاعة محاضرات عام 1885.

مانور

في وقت استبيان يوم القيامة ، كان ويليام بيفريل يحتفظ بثلاث مرات للاختباء بليسوورث. (fn. 1) عند وفاته عام 1114 ، انتقلت الأرض إلى ابنه ويليام بيفريل ، الذي كان محتفظًا به في وقت مسح نورثهامبتونشاير. (fn.2) خسر أراضيه بتهمة الخيانة ، وفي مايكلماس 1157 منح الملك لروبرت دي بيسي أرضًا في بليسوورث ونيوبوتل بقيمة 43 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا سنويًا. (fn. 3) في عام 1181 ، كان ابنه روبرت يحمل بليسوورث ، (fn. 4) ولكن في العام التالي خلفه ويليام ابن روبرت. (fn. 5) في عام 1189 ، منح ريتشارد الأول سيادة بليسوورث لأخيه جون كونت أوف مورتين ، الذي احتفظ بالقصر حتى عام 1194 عندما استعاد الملك حيازة شرف بيفريل. في ذلك الوقت ، امتلك ماثيو دي كلير Newbottle و Blisworth ، بقيمة سنوية قدرها 43 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا. (fn.6) في عام 1199 ، منح الملك لوليام دي فيرير ، إيرل ديربي ، حفيد مارغريت ، وريثة ويليام بيفريل الأصغر ، سيادة مائة من هيغام ، بليسوورث ، ونيوبوتل ، مقابل دفع 2000 علامة. (fn.7) إيزابيل ، أرملة روبرت دي بييسي ، رفعت دعوى قضائية ضد إيرل فيريرز بشأن هذه العقارات ، ولكن تم رفض القضية لأن إيزابيل ليس لها حق في الأرض إلا من قبل زوجها ، الذي كان يملكها بمنح هنري الثاني عندما كان شرف Peverel بين يديه. (fn. 8) توفي ويليام دي فيرير عام 1247 وخلفه ابنه ويليام إيرل من ديربي ، الذي توفي عام 1254 تاركًا ابنه روبرت ، الذي ولد عام 1239. وقد حصل على كسوة لأراضيه عام 1260 لكنه خسرها ست سنوات في وقت لاحق ، عندما مُنح شرف بيفريل إدموند إيرل من لانكستر ، وأصبح جزءًا من دوقية لانكستر.

استيقظ. أو اثنين من القضبان مع ثلاثة جولس دائرية في الرأس.

منح ويليام إيرل ديربي قصر Blisworth و Advowson للكنيسة إلى William Briwerre ، ليكون نصف أجر ، وقد أكد الملك جون المنحة في عام 1199. (fn. 9) في العام التالي تم منح Briwerre الإذن لـ أسارت 60 فدانا من الغابات في بليسوورث. (fn. 10) في عام 1212 مُنح أخشابًا من غابة ليسيسترشاير لبناء قبو وغرفة في بليسوورث ، (fn. 11) وفي العام التالي حصل على ترخيص لزراعة 30 فدانًا من الغابات الأخرى ، توقف عن هذا الأمر. (fn. 12) في عام 1220 ، مُنح 24 صندوقًا للوظائف وعوارض مربعة و 2 محتالين من Salcey Forest لإعادة بناء منازله في Blisworth. (fn. 13) عند وفاته عام 1227 ، نزل القصر إلى ابنه ويليام ، الذي توفي عام 1232 ، تم تخصيص بليسوورث لأرملة جوان في الصداق. (fn. 14) في العام التالي ، تم تعيين القصر إلى ويليام دي بيرسي باسم بناته ، ورثتا خمس ممتلكات ويليام بريوير. (fn. 15) يبدو أن جوان قد احتفظت بملكية القصر ، الذي نزل بعد وفاتها في عام 1265 (fn. 16) إلى السير بالدوين ويك ، حفيد إيزابيل دي بريوير ، أخت ويليام وزوجة بالدوين. استيقظ بورن. شارك مع البارونات ضد هنري الثالث ، والتي من أجلها منح الملك قصره في بليسوورث إلى آلان بلجينيت ، الذي احتفظ بها في عام 1266. الصراحة والامتيازات الأخرى هناك عام 1276. (fn. 18)

يُقال إن السير بالدوين توفي في 4 فبراير 1282 ، (fn. 19) وفي 20 يوليو ، ارتكب الملك القصر ، الذي قُدرت قيمته بـ 32 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا.س. ، لفيليب بورنيل. (fn. 20) ابن بالدوين ووريثه جون من زوجته الثانية ، هاويز دي كوينسي ، كونه قاصرًا ، منح الملك الوصاية على أراضيه في نورثهامبتونشاير إلى إدموند إيرل من كورنوال ، في 27 أكتوبر 1282. (fn. 21) في العام التالي ، رفعت Hawise Wake دعوى ضد الإيرل مدعية أنها وزوجها قد تم الاستيلاء عليهما معًا ، ولكن تم رفض القضية لأن النقل المشترك لم يتم تنفيذه بشكل صحيح. (fn. 22) بلغ جون سن الرشد في يناير 1295 ، (fn.23) وقبل وفاته في عام 1300 ، منح عمه السير هيو ويك أوف ديبينج نصف الأجر في بليسوورث ، واحتفظ لنفسه بدفع الكنيسة ومبلغ سنوي. إيجار 10 جنيهات إسترلينية من القصر. (fn. 24) عند وفاته في عام 1315 (fn. 25) ، خلف السير هيو ويك ابنه توماس ، الذي مُنح وارن مجانًا في بليسوورث في 22 فبراير 1330. (fn. 26) في نفس العام دافع عن حقه لعرض الصراحة في القصر. (fn. 27) تزوج ابنة إليزابيث وريث هيو كرانسلي ، وخلفه ابنه السير توماس ويك ، زوج أخت أليس ووريث ويليام دي باتشول ، في عام 1346 تقريبًا. (fn. 29) كان يعيش في سبتمبر 1379 ، (fn. 30) لكنه مات على الأرجح بعد فترة وجيزة ، تاركًا Blisworth لزوجته طوال حياتها. بعد وفاتها في عام 1398 ، خلفها حفيدها توماس ، الابن الأكبر الباقي لابنها توماس ، (fn. 31) الذي توفي في أغسطس 1383. (fn. 32) كان متزوجًا من Margaret Philipot ، أخت السير جون فيليبوت ، مواطن وبقال من لندن ، منحه ريتشارد الثاني الأراضي والزواج من وريث السير توماس ويك في سبتمبر 1383. (fn. 33) توفي توماس ويك قبل عام 1425 ، وانتقل القصر إلى ابنه توماس ، الذي كان ثم حوالي 23 سنة. (fn. 34) تزوج ابنة أغنيس ووريث توماس لوفيل من كليفيدون ، سومرست ، وتوفي في 10 سبتمبر 1458 ، (fn. 35) خلفه ابنه توماس ، الذي ولد حوالي 1434. من زوجته الأولى ، التي الاسم غير معروف ، فقد كان لديه ابنان أو ثلاثة أبناء ، خلفه الأكبر ، روجر ، بعد وفاته في مايو 1476. (fn. 36) بصفته من أتباع ريتشارد الثالث ، كان يرعى من قبل هنري السابع ، قصره في بليسوورث تم منحها للسير جيمس بلونت. (fn. 37) أعيدت أراضيه فيما بعد بموجب قانون صادر عن البرلمان عام 1487. (fn. 38) توفي في 16 مارس 1504 تاركًا قصر بليسوورث لزوجته إليزابيث ابنة السير ويليام كاتيسبي من آشبي ليدجرز ، خلال حياتها. (fn. 39) ثم تزوجت من السير جون جراي ، الابن الرابع لتوماس ماركيز من دورست ، وخلفها ابنها توماس ويك ، الذي باع قصر بليسوورث للسير ريتشارد نايتلي من فاوسلي في 1522 أو 1523. (fn. 40) سيدي توفي ريتشارد في ديسمبر 1535 تاركًا بليسوورث لابنه الأصغر السير إدموند نايتلي وأورسولا زوجته. (fn. 41) لقد منحوا القصر لهنري الثامن في عام 1542 ، في مقابل ممتلكات أخرى ، (fn. 42) وتم دمجها في شرف جرافتون الذي تم إنشاؤه حديثًا. (fn. 43) مُنحت إدارة القصر للسير جون ويليامز في عام 1545. (fn. 44)

فيتزروي دوق جرافتون. ذراعي الملك تشارلز الثاني مع اختلاف شرير baston gobony argent و azure.

في عام 1592 أو 1593 ، مُنح موقع القصر لتوماس أندرو من شارويلتون ، (fn. 45) الذي كان حفيده توماس يعيش هناك عام 1618. (fn. 46) في عام 1628 ، نُقل بليسوورث ، مع عشرة قصور أخرى ، إلى السير فرانسيس تقدم كرين ، مدير أعمال نسيج Mortlake ، كضمان لقرض بقيمة 7500 جنيه إسترليني إلى Crown. (fn. 47) بعد سبع سنوات ، تم تأجير موقع القصر للسير روبرت كوك لمدة واحد وثلاثين عامًا. (fn. 48) في مسح لعقارات التاج في عام 1660 ، لوحظ أن بليسوورث تحتوي على 894 فدانًا من الأراضي الصالحة للزراعة ، و 405 فدانًا من المراعي ، ولا يوجد بها مروج. (fn. 49) عند انتهاء عقد إيجار كوك في عام 1665 ، منح تشارلز الثاني القصر بممتلكات أخرى كثيرة إلى دينزيل لورد هوليس وفيليب إيرل من تشيسترفيلد وخمسة آخرين. (fn. 50) في عام 1673 ، ومع ذلك ، أعطى الملك بليسوورث إلى هنري إيرل من أرلينغتون ، مع ما تبقى إلى صهره هنري فيتزروي ، (fn. 51) الذي نجح في وفاته في عام 1685. تم إنشاؤه دوق جرافتون في عام 1675 ، وظل بليسوورث في أيدي أحفاده حتى عام 1919 ، عندما تم بيع معظم عقارات نورثهامبتونشاير التابعة لدوقات جرافتون.

كنيسة

كنيسة شارع. يوحنا المعمدان يتكون من شانسل 30 قدم 4 متر. بطول 18 قدمًا 8 بوصة ، صحن كلي ، 61 قدمًا 6 بوصات × 18 قدمًا 8 بوصات ، الممرات الشمالية والجنوبية ، 11 قدمًا 6 بوصات ، الشرفة الشمالية العريضة ، والبرج الغربي ، 9 أقدام و 10 بوصات في 9 قدم 6 بوصة ، كل هذه القياسات داخلية. الممر الشمالي هو الطول الكامل للخلجان الخمسة للصحن ، لكن الممر الجنوبي (fn. 52) يتكون من ثلاث خلجان فقط. يبلغ العرض عبر الصحن والممرات 47 قدمًا. 2 بوصة.

يتكون المبنى بشكل عام من الحجر الجيري الملتصق تقريبًا ، ممزوجًا في البرج بالحجر الحديدي المحلي. أسقف المذبح وصحن الكنيسة مردودة ، وأسطح الممرات مغطاة بالرصاص ، والشرفة مغطاة بالبلاط الحديث. توجد حواجز مستقيمة على المذبح والممرات: سقف الصحن المتدلي. داخليا ، ما عدا في البرج ، جميع الجدران مغطاة بالجبس.

تم ترميم الكنيسة في 1855-186 عندما تمت إزالة معرض وتحويل المقاعد إلى مقاعد مفتوحة ، وفي عام 1871 تم رصف الأرضيات بالبلاط المغطى بالبلاط. أعيد بناء الممر الجنوبي في عام 1926.

ينتمي المذبح والخلجان الشرقية الثلاثة للصحن إلى كنيسة ممر تعود إلى أواخر القرن الثالث عشر ، وقد تم تمديد صحن الكنيسة والممر الشمالي منها غربًا ، حيث أعيد بناء الممر ، وربما تم توسيعه ، حوالي 1320 - 30. تبع البرج لاحقًا في القرن الرابع عشر. يبدو أن الممر الجنوبي هو عرضه الأصلي ، حيث توجد كنيسة صغيرة في نهايته الشرقية مفصولة عن الباقي بقوس عرضي من القرن الثالث عشر ، ومغطى بزوايا قائمة على صحن الكنيسة مع الجملون إلى الجنوب. المداخل الشمالية والجنوبية (fn. 53) هي أيضًا من تاريخ القرن الثالث عشر مع لفائف حواف. باستثناء الشرفة ، التي يبدو أنها أضيفت أو أعيد بناؤها في القرن الخامس عشر ، لم يتم إجراء أي تغيير آخر في الخطة لاحقًا. ومع ذلك ، في القرن الخامس عشر ، تم إدخال نوافذ جديدة في المذبح وتم تشييد أو إعادة بناء الكنيسة.

يتكون المذبح من خليجين وله نافذتان من القرن الثالث عشر على الجانب الجنوبي ، والجدار الجنوبي كان إلى حد كبير من تلك الفترة ، ولكن في القرن الرابع عشر ، تم إعادة بناء الجدران الشرقية والشمالية بالكامل أو إعادة تشكيلها. تحتوي النافذة الشرقية المدببة ذات الضوء الخماسي على زخارف من نوع غير عادي (fn. 54) من المحتمل أن تكون من هذا التاريخ ، ويتم وضع دعامات الزاوية قطريًا: قاعدة مشطوفة وخيط يظهران فقط في الشمال والشرق. على الجانب الشمالي ، يتساوى الخلجان ، يحتوي كل منهما على نافذة مدببة من القرن الخامس عشر مكونة من ثلاثة أضواء منحوتة بزخرفة رأسية ، ومدخل مغلق في الخليج الغربي ، ولكن على الجانب الجنوبي ، فإن الخلجان غير متساوية في الحجم. من بين النافذتين المدببتين السابقتين في الجدار الجنوبي ، يوجد في أقصى الشرق مصباحان مدببان مع دائرة ثلاثية في الرأس ، ولها عضادات مزدوجة المشطوب وغطاء محرك. من حيث الطابع ، يكون أقدم من الآخر ، وهو أيضًا من نوعين من الأضواء ولكن مع عمود متشعب وله العضادات شطب مجوف خارجي ، لكن كل الأعمال السابقة في الكنيسة من النوع الذي يبدو أنه ساد في نورثهامبتونشاير من حوالي 1260 إلى 1300 وما بعده ، وهو أمر يصعب تأريخه بدقة بدون أدلة وثائقية. إلى الغرب ، عتبة أعلى بكثير من العتبات الأخرى ، هي نافذة مدمجة من القرن الخامس عشر بثلاثة ضوء مثل تلك المقابلة ، وفي مستوى أدنى في الزاوية الجنوبية الغربية للمذبح ، توجد نافذة مستطيلة منخفضة الجانب مستطيلة الشكل ، مسدودة الآن. (fn. 55) في الجدار المقابل ، عند الزاوية الشمالية الغربية ، يوجد فتحة أصغر منخفضة الجانب محجوبة تعود إلى تاريخ القرن الخامس عشر ، مع رأس ثلاثي الشكل وقوالب مستطيلة الشكل ، تنتشر على نطاق واسع إلى الشرق من الداخل. (fn. 56) يحتوي البسكينا في أواخر القرن الثالث عشر على فجوة مزدوجة مجوفة بسيطة ووعاء بارز مخدد مدعوم بعمود مع تاج مصبوب. لا توجد سيديليا. في الزاوية الجنوبية الغربية للمذبح يوجد حول ، مسدود الآن ، من الممر. (fn. 57) إن قوس المذبح المنخفض الواسع الانتشار هو إعادة بناء من القرن الرابع عشر معاصر مع الامتداد الغربي للصحن ، وهو يتكون من رتبتين مشطوفتين ، والداخلي على نصف مثمن يستجيب مع تيجان وقواعد مصبوبة. هناك شاشة جيدة من خشب البلوط من القرن الخامس عشر مع فتحات مجردة ، وألواح سفلية عادية ، وأعلى مصبوب. تم ترميم الأكشاك كثيرًا. يبدو أن قضبان مذبح الدرابزين تعود إلى أواخر القرن السابع عشر. سقف الشانسل حديث. (fn. 58) لا يزال السلم ذو الطابق العلوي الذي يعود إلى القرن الخامس عشر في حالة ممتازة جدًا على الجانب الشمالي من قوس المذبح في الطرف الشرقي من رواق الصحن ، حيث يتم زيادة سماكة الجدار لهذا الغرض. يتكون المدخل السفلي من أربعة محاور ، والمدخل العلوي ذو رأس مربع مع قولبة مدورة. (الجبهة 59)

يتكون الممر الجنوبي من أواخر القرن الثالث عشر للصحن من ثلاثة أقواس مدببة من رتبتين مشطوفتين ، مع قالب على كل جانب ، ينبثق من أعمدة مثمنة الأضلاع مع تيجان وقواعد مصبوبة ومن استجابات ذات طابع مماثل. القواعد لها لفة مزدوجة ، باستثناء تلك الموجودة في الغرب تستجيب غير المقولبة ، وتختلف العواصم قليلاً في التفاصيل ، حيث يوجد عمود في أقصى الغرب يحتوي على شريط من ثلاث ورقات صغيرة ورباعية الفصوص أسفل العداد. الأقواس الثلاثة المقابلة للرواق الشمالي الأقدم قليلاً لها نفس الطابع العام ، لكن القواعد مشطوفة وعلى قواعد مربعة والعواصم أقل ارتفاعًا. عندما تم تمديد الممر غربًا ، أعيد استخدام الرد القديم وأقيم عمودان جديدان وأقواس. استمرت الخلجان الجديدة في التصميم العام ، لكن قوالب العواصم والقواعد تشير إلى تاريخها المتأخر.

الممر الجنوبي بدون دعامات ، وعلى الرغم من أن إعادة بنائه تحافظ على الكثير من طابعه السابق. يتكون القوس الذي يفصل المصلى في نهايته الشرقية عن بقية الممر من رتبتين مشطوفتين ، ينبثقان من الرصيف الشرقي الأقصى للرواق ومن تجاوب مع تاج مقولب. تضاء الكنيسة عند الطرف الجنوبي من خلال نافذة كبيرة مربعة الرأس مكونة من خمسة أضواء مع عضادات وأعمدة مصبوبة (fn. 60) والتي يوجد تحتها ، بداخلها ، تجويف متأخر للجدار مع قوس أوجي مصبوب مسطح. (fn. 61) اختفت سمكة سابقة. الممر مضاء أيضًا بنافذة حديثة مدببة ذات ضوءين ، يوجد المدخل إلى الغرب منها. في الجدار الجنوبي للصحن ، بين الممر والبرج ، توجد نافذة مدببة تتكون في الأصل من ثلاثة أضواء أزيلت أعمدةها.

الممر الشمالي له دعامة قطرية صغيرة في الزاوية الشمالية الغربية ، وتضاء بثلاث نوافذ في الجدار الشمالي وواحدة في كل طرف. النافذة الشرقية مربعة الرأس ومكونة من ثلاثة أضواء ثلاثية ، على ما يبدو إدخال القرن الخامس عشر ، وهذا في الطرف الغربي أيضًا ذو رأس مربع ولكن من مصباحين ، وقد تم تغييره وسد الجزء السفلي منه. تتكون النافذة الصغيرة المدببة في الجدار الشمالي الغربي من الشرفة من مصباحين مزينين بثلاثة أضلاع مع عضادات مزدوجة المشطوب وغطاء للرأس ، ولكن تم تجديد حواف الأضلاع الكبيرة في شرق الشرفة. يحتوي المدخل المدبب الذي يعود إلى أواخر القرن الثالث عشر على صب مستمر. يتم غربلة الطرف الشرقي من الممر من أجل مجلس.

تحتوي الشرفة على سقف مرتفع مع جملون مسنن في كل طرف ، ويقف فوق سقف الممر ، وقوس خارجي مدبب مع قوالب مستمرة في الجملون أعلاه عبارة عن حجر منقوش بالحجر 'a.d. 1607، w.d.، c.m. '

يحتوي الكاهن على ثلاث نوافذ ذات أربعة محاور متباعدة على نطاق واسع من مصباحين متشابكين على كل جانب ، موضوعة دون مراعاة للأقواس الموجودة أدناه. يتكون السقف الخشبي الحديث للصحن من ستة خلجان.

يتكون البرج من ثلاث مراحل مقسمة بخيوط ، مع قاعدة مقولبة وأزواج من دعامات أربع مراحل في زواياها الغربية تصل إلى قمة المرحلة الثانية ، فوقها دعامات قطرية صغيرة. في المرحلة السفلية توجد نافذة غربية مدببة تم ترميمها مكونة من مصباحين مزينين بألوان ثلاثية ، لكن الجانبين الشمالي والجنوبي فارغين. تحتوي المرحلة الوسطى على فتحة صغيرة ثلاثية الفصوص على كل جانب ، والتي في الشمال مغطاة الآن بقرص الساعة ، ونوافذ غرفة الجرس المدببة عبارة عن مصباحين مزودين بثلاثة أوراق مع رباعي الفصوص في الرأس. ينتهي البرج في حاجز متعرج بدون قمم. لا يوجد نائب. يتكون القوس المدبب المؤدي إلى صحن الكنيسة من رتبتين متواصلتين مشطوفتين مع قالب غطاء على الجانب الشرقي وأمر واحد في الغرب.

الخط قديم ويتألف من وعاء دائري عادي الشكل (fn. 62) على قاعدة وقاعدة أسطوانية ، ودرجة مثمنة الأضلاع. (الجبهة 63)

المنبر الخشبي حديث. توجد الأذرع الملكية لجورج الثالث (قبل 1801) فوق قوس البرج.

توجد أجزاء من زجاج العصور الوسطى في زخرفة النافذة الشمالية الغربية للشانسل. (الجبهة 64)

يقع قبر منضدة روجر ويك (ت. الجوانب مغطاة بدروع من الأسلحة. يوجد على اللوح نحاسيات روجر وزوجته ، مع مجموعات من سبعة أبناء وثلاث بنات أدناه ، ودرع في كل زاوية ، ونقش نحاسي حول الحافة على النحو التالي: نورثهامبتون وإليزابيث وزوجته. . . الذي توفي روجر في الخامس عشر من شهر مارس عام ربنا الإله م ا ccccciij ، الذي لديه نفس Ihū m'cy. (الجبهة 65)

في المعبد توجد آثار جدارية لمارغريت بلاكي (fn.66) (ت 1673) وريبيكا ييتس (ت 1679) ، زوجة جوناثان ييتس ، رئيس الجامعة. يوجد في صحن الكنيسة نصب تذكاري لثلاثة وعشرين رجلاً من الرعية الذين سقطوا في حرب 1914-1918.

يوجد قرص خدش على الدعامة الغربية للنافذة السفلية على الجانب الجنوبي من المذبح.

هناك حلقة من خمسة أجراس ، الثانية والثالثة لبارثولوميو أتون من باكنغهام 1624 ، والرابعة لهنري باجلي الثالث 1713 ، والأولى والخامسة لتوماس إيير من كيترينج 1758. (fn. 67)

يتكون الطبق من فنجان من 1570 ، باتين من القرن السابع عشر (ج. 1636) ، وكأس وبطانة من عام 1845 ، وطبق صدقة عام 1846 ، وإبريق من عام 1870. (fn. 68)

السجلات قبل عام 1812 هي كما يلي: (1) جميع المداخل 1545 يناير 1703 - 4 (2) التعميد والدفن سبتمبر 1705 - 71 ، الزيجات حتى 1753 (3) الزواج 1754-1812 (4) التعميد والدفن 1772-1812 . المدخلات في المجلد الأول غير كاملة حتى عام 1557 تقريبًا.

على الجانب الشمالي من الكنيسة ، على الطريق المؤدي إلى الرواق ، توجد درجات وصخور صليب في ساحة الكنيسة. (الجبهة 69)

تأييد

تم منح حق التقديم للكنيسة إلى ويليام بريوير من قبل إيرل ديربي ، وأكده الملك جون في عام 1199. انتقلت Advowson مع القصر إلى السير بالدوين ويك عند وفاة جوان بريوير. عندما نقل ابنه جون القصر إلى عمه هيو ويك ، احتفظ بالمقدم وإيجار 10 جنيهات إسترلينية من القصر. انتقل الإيجار والإيجار إلى أخته ووريثته مارغريت ، زوجة إدموند من وودستوك ، إيرل كينت ، الذي توفي ابنه جون إيرل من كنت في عام 1352. خادمة كينت ، زوجة السير توماس دي هولاند وثانيًا إدوارد برينس أوف ويلز. توفيت في عام 1385 بعد أن استولت على الإيجار (fn.71) الذي انتقل إلى ابنها توماس دي هولاند ، إيرل كينت. توفي في عام 1397 ، (ص. 72) واتهم ابنه توماس بالخيانة العظمى في عام 1399. ومع ذلك ، تم تعيين Advowson لوالدته أليس في المهر في عام 1398 وتوفيت في حوزتها عام 1416. (fn) 73) ورثتها حفيداتها الخمس ، وكانت واحدة من هؤلاء إليانور كونتيسة مارس ، التي توفيت قبلها ، وتركت وريثًا لابنها إدموند إيرل مارس ، الذي توفي خُمس المستقدمين في عام 1425 تاركًا ثلاثة ورثة مشاركين. (fn. 74) ولكن جوان ، أرملة توماس إيرل كينت ، ماتت في حيازة advowson عام 1442 ، التي أقيمت في المهر بتكليف من ورثة أليس. كان وريثها همفري إيرل ستافورد ، ابن شقيقها. (fn. 75) من المحتمل أن يعود advowson إلى التاج عندما كان حفيده العظيم إدوارد دوق باكنغهام ، إيرل ستافورد ، قد وصل إلى القمة في عام 1523. وقد مُنح الإبراز للسير كريستوفر هاتون في مايو 1579 ، (fn. 76) وظل في حيازة عائلته حتى القرن التاسع عشر. كان العيش في هبة من القس دبليو باري ، رئيس جامعة بليسوورث ، وأحفاده من عام 1839 إلى عام 1930 ، ولكن تم الحصول عليها بعد ذلك من قبل حكام مدرسة كانفورد ، دورست.

مؤسسات خيرية

في عام 1504 ، ترك روجر ويك بعض الأراضي في بيدفوردشاير لتأسيس ترانيم في كنيسة القديسة مريم العذراء ، التي كان قسيسها أيضًا يحتفظ بمدرسة قواعد مجانية في القرية. كانت المدرسة تسمى Roger Wake's Chauntre and Free School ، وعند مصادرة أراضي الماراثون استمرت بموجب أمر من مفوضي Chantry ، مع راتب ثابت قدره 11 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا تم تحصيله من عائدات التاج. اختفت كل آثار مدرسة القواعد مع بداية القرن التاسع عشر ، ومنذ ذلك الحين تم ربط الراتب براتب مدير مدرسة ابتدائية. (fn. 77)

عند ضم الرعية ، تم تخصيص قطعة أرض بدلاً من الأراضي التي كانت مخصصة سابقًا لإصلاح الكنيسة. تبلغ قيمة الإيجار الحالي حوالي 20 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا.

أثبتت جين ليسون بإرادتها في عام 1649 أن بعض الأراضي دفعت مدفوعات للفقراء في العديد من الأماكن (بما في ذلك 10 جنيهات إسترلينيةس. سنة لبليسوورث) ليتم توزيعها من قبل رئيس الجامعة ومديري الكنيسة والمشرفين على العديد من البلدات والقرى. يتم توزيع هذا المبلغ الآن على الفقراء من قبل رئيس الجامعة وأربعة أمناء عينهم مجلس رعية بليسوورث.

أثبتت ماريا آن ويستلي بإرادتها في 3 مارس 1931 أن العائدات الصافية لرسائلها الثلاث إلى أمناء الكنيسة المعمدانية بليسوورث ، لتخصيص الدخل من خلال راتب وزير الكنيسة المذكورة. يمثل الوقف الآن 139 جنيهًا إسترلينيًا و 11 جنيهًا إسترلينيًاس. 9د. 3½٪ مخزون حرب.


وصف

SP 7254 شارع بليسوورث هاي
(الجانب الجنوبي)
10/23 The Old Rectory


بيت القسيس سابقا. تاريخ 1841. الحجر الجيري الحجر الجيري ، أسقف أردواز ، نهاية الحجر
وأكوام التلال. خطة العمق المزدوج. 2 طوابق وعلية نطاق 3 نوافذ.
تحتوي الشرفة المركزية الجملونية على مدخل حجري مشطوب مزدوج برأس رباعي المركز و
الأبواب ذات الضلفتين ، وقطع الرفوف وقوالب غطاء المحرك. قمم مثمنة الزوايا ،
نوافذ مزدوجة ذات ضوء واحد على الجوانب وحاجز وجملون مغطى بالحجر
التاريخ. الشرفة محاطة بنوافذ ضيقة ذات حجارة مزدوجة
يحيط. تتكسر الخلجان على الجانبين إلى الأمام ولديها حجارة مشطوفة و
نوافذ مستعرضة إلى الطابق الأرضي ، نوافذ حجرية مشطوفة بضوء 2 إلى 1st
أرضية ، كل ذلك مع أزواج من الزنانير الصغيرة وقوالب غطاء المحرك ، وشاح صغير به
أحجار مشطوفة تحيط بجملون العلية. القاعدة ، دورة السلسلة في الطابق الأول و
الطنف الحجرية بين قوسين. جناح من طابق واحد بثلاث نوافذ إلى اليمين. وأشار الداخلية باسم
وجود درج مفتوح جيد مع أعمدة دوران بسيطة ونهايات مداس منحوتة و
الدرابزين الماهوجني المنحدر والمكلل.


بليسوورث كتنج - التاريخ

هذه صفحة على موقع الويب المستقل ، الصفحة الرئيسية: http://blisworth.org.uk/images/index.html

تاريخ ذراع بليسوورث

الهدف من هذه الصفحة هو الإشارة إلى المستندات التي توفر التفاصيل التاريخية وتقديم (أ) جدول زمني بسيط ، (ب) خريطة و (ج) قائمة بالمستخدمين الرئيسيين لـ Northampton Arm (حتى 1970).

هناك أيضًا خريطة تفاعلية لقرية Blisworth Arm الصغيرة للإشارة إلى موقع بعض المباني التاريخية.

شكر وتقدير: مع الشكر لجميع الأشخاص الذين ساعدوا في تجميع هذه المعلومات: ديفيد بلاغروف وريج سبيتلز وفيل ليزيوس وبريان كولينجز وسالي إدواردز وجون ديل ودورين بلود وجيمس بايلر وديف جودوين وجورج فريستون الذي أنقذ الكثير من مراسلات ميلنر الآن في NRO

أوقات يوم القيامة ، أي 1066 - سيكون هذا كله أرضًا "نفايات" لا شيء يهتم به النورمانديون باستثناء مسار ، وهو جزء من القديم جدًا طريق أوكسنفورد طريق التجارة ، الذي يرجع تاريخه على الأرجح إلى القرن الثامن إذا أنشأه أوفا أوف ميرسيا ، يمر عبر المنطقة على محور شمالي-جنوبي تقريبًا ينضم إلى أكسفورد ونورثامبتون عبر أبرشية جرينز نورتون وتيفيلد. [تفترض إحدى النظريات أن الطريقة القديمة تتطابق مع محور الطريق عبر Blisworth Arm ، بينما تفترض نظرية أخرى أنها تتبع الطريق من Gayton ، في المنطقة المجاورة مباشرة ، وتنضم قليلاً إلى الشرق من نهاية الذراع.

القرون الوسطى - تخيل هذا المسار فقط ، حيث يقسم رعايا Blisworth و Gayton ، والحقول لمسافة نصف ميل من جميع النواحي. تم تضمين أبرشية جايتون في وقت مبكر جدًا بينما لم يتم تضمين هذا الجزء من أبرشية بليسوورث حتى عام 1800. سيكون هناك فقط السكان المحليون يكدحون طوال اليوم عند أخاديدهم ، ويستمعون إلى جرس القرية ليقرع & quottea-time & quot.

1757 - كانت المنطقة الواقعة جنوب المسار بالكامل جزءًا من أرض مشتركة تسمى الحقل السفلي أو حقل بليسوورث. تم السماح بأقرب حقل مغلق (The Lowne) إلى Wm. بلومان ، سليل أحد المستفيدين من شراء أراضي التاج كرومويل عام 1650. بحلول وقت إجراء مسح جرافتون في 1757 ، تم منح معظم المزارعين الذين تم الحكم عليهم بأنهم مزارعون جيدون بعض منح التأمين على أجزاء من الأرض المشتركة ، لذلك تم دفع نمط & quotridge & furrow & quot للزراعة الأسرية. قد يكون المسار أقل صيانة مما كان عليه في العصور الوسطى ، ويمتد على طول حدود أبرشية بليسوورث وجايتون ، وربما يخدم بشكل رئيسي الحقول المغلقة بالفعل (1600) في أبرشية جايتون. تم نقل "طريق التجارة" منذ فترة طويلة إلى طريق قديم يمر عبر Blisworth والذي كان سيتم ترقيته قريبًا إلى مسار دوار (ومن ثم A43).

1794 - القطع الرئيسي لل قناة جراند جنكشن في أقصى الجنوب حتى جسر الدوران في قرية بليسوورث ، حيث تم إنشاء رصيف عبور. لن يرى السكان المحليون الهدف من هذا "النهر" من صنع الإنسان. . . بعد. المسار منحني قليلاً ويشكل بدايات شارع قصير عبر قرية صغيرة.

1805 - الالتحاق بقناة جراند جنكشن وحفر أ

ممر مائي بطول 150 ياردة يؤدي إلى سكة حديدية للخيول تربط القناة بنورثامبتون. المكان كان يسمى نورثامبتون ارم وظلت كذلك حتى عام 1891 تقريبًا عندما تم استخدام اسم Blisworth Arm في التعداد. انتقل Pickfords من Blisworth wharfs إلى Arm لتشغيل سكة حديد الخيول ، بعد تشغيل خط سكة حديد Blisworth Hill من 1800 إلى 1805 أثناء الانتهاء من النفق.
تم إغلاق مزرعة صغيرة تبلغ مساحتها حوالي 50 فدانًا (؟) وتم تخصيصها للمستأجر جون ديكس - ربما توسعت بسرعة إلى مزرعة مساحتها 152 فدانًا عُرفت فيما بعد باسم مزرعة الذراع (القديمة).

1807 - تم افتتاح منزل عام ويعتقد أنه تم تسميته في البداية The New Inn (لمدة لا تزيد عن 20 عامًا) ، وسُمي لاحقًا بـ Navigation Inn - الصور الفوتوغرافية. في 13 كانون الثاني (يناير) 1806 ، أرسل جورج مور فاتورة إلى دوق جرافتون 1 16. 0. للسقالات الخشبية (skafles) لمنزل عام في ريل إند ، بليسوورث فيلد. في خريطة جائزة عام 1809 ، تظهر كمنزل (مزرعة) غير موسوم في زاوية حقل كبير. انظر التفاصيل في الصفحة المرتبطة.

1815 - الأول من مايو ، بكامله نورثامبتون ارم، كممر مائي وحيد العرض ، تم حفره وفتحه أمام حركة المرور - وبالتالي تم توصيل نهر نيني بنظام القناة. تم إغلاق سكة حديد الخيول وابتعدت شركة Pickfords عن الذراع. اسم مثل Railway End أفسح المجال ل نهاية الذراع. قامت شركة Pickfords ، وهي شركة لها جذورها في القرن السابع عشر ، بتشغيل القوارب الطائرة عام 1800 ، ولكن بحلول عام 1850 أغلقت أعمالها القائمة على القناة لصالح السكك الحديدية. على الرغم من أنه تم بناؤه كممر مائي عرض واحد لتوفير المياه ، إلا أن GJCCC أعطت شرطًا لرجال الأعمال في نورثهامبتون أنه إذا تم توسيع الأقفال في Foxton و Watford لاحقًا ، فسيتم أيضًا توسيع الأقفال السبعة عشر الموجودة على الذراع.

1817 - تم بناء الكوخين ، اللذين تم اقتحامهما في منزل واحد كمقر إقامة توماس ميلنر في عام 1900 ، عن طريق الجسر رقم 2 ليكونا بمثابة سكن عمال القناة.

ج 1820 - من المفترض أن GJCCC قد أنشأت ساحة الصيانة الخاصة بها في موقعها الحالي بشكل أو بآخر فور اكتمال الذراع. هناك مرجع يشير إلى أن القضبان المأخوذة من سكة حديد الخيول كانت مكدسة في الفناء وبحلول عام 1824 ينتظر التخلص من كومة كبيرة من القضبان & quot. تم عرض بعضها على شركة Thames Tunnel Co ، التي بدأت عمليات حفر الأنفاق في عام 1825 ويعتقد أن كومة القضبان ربما شاهدها السير مارك برونيل ، والد IK ، الذي كان في المنطقة في عام 1824 لتقديم المشورة لشركة Oxford Canal Co بشأن استقامة خطها شمال براونستون. أعطيت بعض القضبان لجون روبر لاستخدامها في سكة حديد الحجر الجيري في Blisworth Stone Works وتم اكتشاف بقايا من قبل جورج فريستون.

ج 1820 - كانت إحدى سمات التأريخ غير المؤكدة هي الجسر المبني عبر عنق الذراع الممتد إلى Toll Cottage - الجسر رقم 1. من المفترض أنها كانت مسألة خشبية واهية نسبيًا ، بالنسبة للمشاة ، وخاصةً صاحب الرسوم ، كونها جسرًا متأرجحًا ، وربما عائمًا ، للسماح للقوارب بالدخول إلى الذراع. كان محاطًا بالتدريج إلى الضفة على جانب الكوخ وانضم إلى شبه جزيرة كبيرة من الأرض على الجانب الآخر كما هو موضح في الخريطة التفصيلية. إذا كان التدريج هو ما يشار إليه في المحادثة المسجلة حول الرجل المحجور ، فإن الجسر كان لا يزال قيد الاستخدام بعد عام 1890.

18?? - السمات الأخرى للتأريخ غير المؤكد هي (أ). إنشاء أعمال الطوب (السيد سافاج في البداية؟) شمال الجسر رقم 2. على الرغم من أنه من المنطقي توقع أعمال الطوب من عام 1795 ، إلا أن أول سجل تعداد لصانع الطوب في الذراع هو 1851. (ب). إنشاء ، ربما c1810 ، وهدم (متى؟) مستودع مستخدم b y Pickfords Company - انظر الخريطة التفصيلية - على Arm wharf (c). إقامة حداد في مكان قريب (انظر الخريطة التفصيلية) (د) بناء أكواخ داخل حظيرة الفناء (لموظفي القناة ، انظر الخريطة التفصيلية ولاحظ الحاشية السفلية ، التي بنيت في وقت ما قبل عام 1900 وهدمت بحلول عام 1930) ، وعلى الجانب الآخر من the road, the building of two farm cottages, before 1900, of inferior bricks next to stables , modernised c1970. Also an undated snippet is the fact that the Northampton Arm was one of the last waterways on the system to operate a horse supplied by the canal company.

c1870 - Arm Farm was taken by new tenants - the Savage family hence the name, now forgotten, for two semi-detached houses opposite the canal yard - Savages Cottages.

1895 - Thomas Millner became Canal Manager for the local section (Braunston to Fenny Stratford) and made the Arm his HQ and taking over from a Mr. Cooke. He lived in the Toll Cottage to begin with but in 1900 he took over a large double cottage as his residence - Canal House. He named his operational base there "Gayton Maintenance Yard", consistent with Grand Junction Canal convention at the time which was to refer to the nearest village by road. By this time, the conventional name for the hamlet was Blisworth Arm as judged by the census documents. Mr. Cooke later departed for USA - he was "fed up with England".

1905 - At Millner's request, a windmill pump and borehole was established near the top lock on the Northampton Arm so that piped 'mains' water could be provided for his house, the boater's services, the brickworks in both Savage's and Asplin's time and the maintenance yard. All this supply is thought to be from a high mounted reservoir near the lock - long since removed. I n later years the Navigation Inn, while still part of the Grafton Estate, was included in the supply. Evidently Millner thought that the Navigation Inn was an important asset in promoting the smooth running of canal business! He makes his support in 1915 plain for all to see.

1911 - Mr. Savage's brickworks just to the north of bridge No.2 ("Arm End Brickyard") was relinquished to a new tenant W.T. Asplin. In the 1914 Kelly directory he is recorded a brick and tile-maker. However, he ceased to use the brickworks from 1917 onwards.
Bridge No.48 on the main cut, "Junction Br.", was taken down and completely rebuilt. There was a fault in its foundations.

1912 - Perhaps as a result of last year's bridge trouble, bridges on the Arm were strengthened with iron ties.

c1919 - Arm Farm was bought by W. T. Asplin who may have been the Grafton tenant there for many years (Grafton records lost in a fire).

1919 - Lot 19 in the Duke of Grafton's Estate sale - The Navigation Inn was sold to Phipps Brewery, Northampton - resident publican A. E. Abram. See details in the associated page.

1919 - Millner recommended in a letter to his bosses in London that they acquire Lots 20 and 21 in the sale - ". I think the acquisition would be beneficial to the company" : (Lot 20) "A valuable brickyard and pasture field - all buildings and the chimney shaft belonging to the tenant W. T. Asplin of Milton" - bought by GJCCC. for 500 with the let continuing - but it seems it lasted only for 2 years. GJCCC management had no idea what this plot would be used for - "let's not sell cottage plots to the public, we might want to build our own staff cottages". The area later became a source of puddling clay.

1919 - Lot 21 was sold for 75 to W. T. Asplin (preference given to the tenant) with the wharf presumably used for sand and brick distribution by canal. GJCCC wanted this plot and attempted to buy it from Asplin through the 1920s. Asplin also bought at this time Lot 22, a sand pit, on the other side of the railway (then) for 875.00 - a site now occupied by Kottler Heron and Leyland-DAF commercial vehicles, among others . There are some historic notes based on an article and copies of Deeds made available by Philip Lizius, the present owner of the plot.

1921 - Asplin ends his tenancy at the brickworks having taken down buildings and moved his operation across the railway. He used local labour in the move.

1929 - The canal through this area, formerly the Grand Junction Canal, was designated part of the Grand Union Canal.

1931 - Russian Oil Products Ltd. (R.O.P.) took a small piece of land, rented from GUCCC, as a depot for petrol distribution. At the time, GUCCC considered a whole list of possible sites but erred in favour of this one because of the perceived fire risk.
Thomas Millner, having retired in 1929/30, vacated Canal House (he died in Watford 1943 and was buried with wife Bena at Gayton). Millner's successor in 1929 was Charles N. Hadlow who took up residence in the Toll Cottage while Canal House was let privately.

الثلاثينيات - Before WWII the c anal fishing rights on the Arm were rented by Northampton Angling Society at a cost of about 10 per mile per annum.

c1936 - Recorded in a postal directory is Claude Frederick Harlow at the Toll Cottage. This is of course C. Hadlow.

War Years - It is thought that Hadlow possibly shared his house during the war years when the whole canal network was 'taken over' by the government. The Toll Cottage was accommodation for a government official and his family, Ernest G. Dale, who described himself as a GUCCC employee and whose job it was to manage the storage of strategic emergency foods. In 1940 Dale took over the R.O.P. depot after the petrol tanks and pumps had all been removed and started to store foodstuffs. By 1942/3 his operation must have transferred into the much favoured Blisworth (Westley) mill building which had become GUCCC property by then (see link below for John Dale's memoirs). Aerial photos of 1947 (NRO) show one small shed and an empty plot accommodating a looped drive with in- and out-gates.

1946 - GUCCC let the old disused petrol depot, newly referred to as Depot No.3, to Derngate Motors for a while and then opted to again offer it to petrol and oil companies [there must have been some canal benefit from this?] People recall Esso, Texaco and Shell being involved but the most 'solid' seems to be that the depot was used by Watsons Oils (part of Texaco) - see article link above.

1948 - GUCCC was nationalised on January 1, 1948 and came under the control of the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive of the British Transport Commission.

c1951 - Arm Farm, still 152 acres, was sold to the Stroud family by Asplin's descendants.

1953 - Easter. The Navigation Inn was closed and sold. See details in the associated page.

1962 - The management of the canal system, whilst still controlled by government, was re-organised as the British Waterways Board which begat British Waterways. By now the annual charge for fishing rights had been increased by British Waterways to 200 per mile which resulted in different clubs taking over the waters. They used to come out by bus and were dropped off at bridge points. It became a little industry - some canal-side houses providing tea, hot water, sandwiches and confectionery. The push and pull train on the local line would drop off and pick up by request at suitable spots such as the Banbury Lane crossing.

الستينيات - British Waterways appreciated the excellent clay, for puddling, available at the site of Asplin's old brickworks (Lot 20) and proceeded to extract it. The resulting large hollow filled with water at a level somewhat below that of the neighbouring Arm and even acquired a colony of water lilies (photographed by Walter Alexander) and its own clandestine flock of fishermen who parked on the horse railway 'track' and crept through narrow gaps in the hedge. The place became known as The Lake and there were voices heard 20 years hence in Blisworth - "we want to keep our Lake".

1960 -70 - Arm Farm was bought by Harry Capell of Shutlanger and, in 1963, a new farm house was established near Canal House and named New Arm Farm. Hence a modified name for the main farm - Old Arm Farm. Not long afterwards, c 1970, the farm buildings along the road opposite the yard were modernised.

1967 - After Station Road was adopted and officially named (eight years after there was no station!) by NCC there was the question of signage to the Arm. George Freeston saw fit to lobby County officials that the name of this hamlet should remain as Blisworth Arm and not be transformed into Gayton Arm! There has been good natured discussion ever since - see 1980 entry.

1975 - Brabs Baillion purchased a north section of the wharf next to the yard, thus presumably merging with the Canal House curtilage which then would be extended right to the water edge (annotations to old conveyance at Head Office, British Waterways noticed by D. Blagrove).

1980 - A boat marina was established by enlarging and profiling The Lake in the area that was earlier used as a source of clay for bricks and canal use. The company was initially "Freshwater Marine" and they named the marina "Gayton Water". Alvechurch Leisure and ABC Leisure Group have since called it "Gayton Marina". An early company statement explained they wished to avoid annoyance to locals and confusion with any businesses in Blisworth. It was not going to be easy but they decided to follow GJCCC. (British Waterways) with their designation "Gayton Junction" for the canals there and "Gayton Maintenance Yard" for their operations there even though it resides within Blisworth parish. Besides, the marina is on the Gayton Road from Milton Malsor.

1983 - The building that was once a pub, Navigation Cottage, was extended by the owners, the Holmes family, using the space occupied by stables (latterly a garage) and loft. The loft was the sleeping quarters mentioned by Thomas Henshaw.

1991 - The Blisworth and Milton Malsor A43 Bypass was completed. It uses a section of the levels built for the Northampton and Peterborough railway branch line. Note the access roads put in on the A43 and just visible in the Google image below. They have not been put to any use because projects to commercially develop land in the Arm area, on both sides of the main road, were quashed at the enquiry stage.

2007 - May, a new marina west of the Grand Union Canal was opened - "Blisworth Marina& مثل. The excavation involved the removal of 100s tonnes of, unsurprisingly, clay. However, a deep seam of particularly good clay for puddling canals and marinas etc. was found and used there. The extra depth of hole created by removing 'best clay' was backfilled with 'second rate clay'.

2008 - Attempts to develop the hamlet, with a small housing project, were refused planning permission as the hamlet seriously lacks both access and parking provision for vehicles.

2009 - A growing environmental awareness has resulted in attention being focussed on the neglected state of the plot once occupied by the R.O.P. Company (see above) and improvement by the owners is imminent.
An information board has been recently installed by British Waterways at the Arm junction. It draws attention to the turnover bridge, the Toll house, the yard, the Navigation and Canal House thus covering the most obvious of the historical features. The board is entitled "Gayton Junction" to align with British Waterways custom dating from c1920 and, unfortunately, not "Northampton Arm Junction" which would have recalled the c1805 years, thus broadening the historical perspective.

2010 - After years of lobbying the NCC, there was set up proper highway signage in August at the end of Station Road near the railway arch. Future difficulties in, for example, an ambulance finding the Arm should be lessened.


The Canals of England and Wales and their History

The Canals were the &ldquomotorways&rdquo of the 18th Century. In the days when roads were un-surfaced and especially when they quickly deteriorated in the winter to pot-holed muddy tracks, a method was sought by which large heavy cargoes of such commodities as coal, iron ore, grain, china clay, limestone and other building materials and agricultural cargoes such as grain could be transported from the regions of the UK in which they were produced to the docks in London, Liverpool, Bristol and so on. Some clever person came up with &ldquothe canal system&rdquo, by which boats with cargoes could be moved easily and relatively cheaply on water across country, by one or two people in a canal boat plus a reliable heavy horse to act as the force which propelled the canal boat along.

A horse drawing a narrowboat along the canal cut - photo reproduced by kind permission

of Blisworth Images and taken by P Digby.

Canals were not a new concept. The Romans built them for exactly the purpose for which they were required in the 18th Century (i.e. to move heavy cargoes from A to B) and also for the transportation of large amounts of water across valleys and hills. However, it was only with the dawn of the Industrial Revolution in the 18th Century that entrepreneurs realized the potential of canal construction. They banded together and lobbied Parliament to pass Acts which enabled the construction of canals to commence. The necessary money for investment was quickly raised, and huge gangs of workers were rounded up to start the mammoth task of digging &ldquothe Cuts&rdquo.

Old photo of horse drawing a narrowboat on a canal - photo reproduced by permission with grateful thanks to Blisworth Images. Photographer unknown.


The Cuts were literally that &ndash cuttings into the landscape to enable the water to be channeled along, thus linking rivers and towns. It was easier to dig canal cuttings by following the contours of the land as far as possible. Where major changes in the gradients occurred a different approach was required. In order to make provision for the water to &ldquogo up&rdquo and &ldquogo down&rdquo so to speak (and thus to raise and lower boats and their cargoes) locks had to be constructed. The locks were &ndash again &ndash basic technology for the time, but this was the first time that the system of locks had been employed so extensively. The lock system was a wonder of the age. In order to raise boats up steep hills whole staircases of locks were designed, and new systems of filling them with water were devised, such as side pounds. It was an exciting time.

Old photo showing "Navvies" working on "The Cut" - photo reproduced with kind permission of Blisworth Images

Most of the labourers employed in the canal digs were from Ireland and the industrial north of England. They became known as &ldquoNavigators&rdquo or &ldquoNavvies&rdquo for short, and the term is still in use to this day for labourers on building sites. In a space of a little over 30 years most of England from the Thames up to the Yorkshire coalfields was criss-crossed with inter-connecting canals.

Some of the canals were cut through hillsides in deep tunnels. This set a problem for the boat people who could not lead a horse through the tunnels because there was no towpath inside. The boats had to be propelled through the tunnels by means of men lying on boards across the top of the narrowboats and literally walking (or "legging") the boats through the length of the cold dark tunnels. Some of the tunnels were over a kilometre in length and this must have been a simply awesome feat.

"Leggers" walking a narrowboat through a tunnel - photos reproduced by kind permission of Blisworth Images and with grateful thanks to Rick Muir and L Hack.

The narrow boats were hauled along by giant Shire horses who plodded along the towpaths at the side of the canals, towing their laden narrow boats behind them. Cargoes were being transported from the Black Country to Liverpool docks via such canals as the Duke of Bridgewater&rsquos canal. He financed this one by himself &ndash and reaped the huge profits which arose from its construction.

As far as the Canals and the River Thames were concerned, the thrust was to get cargoes from the Midlands and the North of England down to the docks in the East End of London. This was very successful, and even up until the Second World War the canals were thriving. By the 1950ies however the whole system of moving cargoes by water was in decline, and a new approach was necessary - or the canals would be filled in once again.

Thanks largely to the great work of the Inland Waterways Association, and societies like them who campaigned tirelessly on behalf of the canals and conducted a relentless battle to save the inland waterways from destruction, a renewed interest in them grew up 40 years ago. L.T.C. Rolt wrote his now famous classic book &ldquoNarrow Boat&rdquo, which did much to inspire new generations of people who wanted to experience life on the canals for themselves. Another famous campaigner, Robert Aickman, cruised the waterways and wrote articles that created the publicity that forced local authorities to repair canal routes that had illegally been allowed to become scarcely passable. Gradually people began to see the leisure possibilities in the network of canals that remained.

Narrowboat on Oxford Canal - photo courtesy JB

The traditional narrow boat was adapted for leisure use, and boat builders created boats which were the height of luxury, complete with diesel powered engines, showers, fridges and freezers and TVs. All About Boats in the BoatBuilders section .

Hire boat companies sprung up the length and breadth of the canal network, and holidays afloat the canals are now extremely popular. The view of the countryside from your own boat as it gently glides down a canal is unique. You can be lucky and see all kinds of wildlife such as otters and kingfishers, and life becomes very relaxed until the next lock has to be navigated! Then it is all hands to the deck as the balance beams of the lock gates have to be closed and the windlasses have to be wound up or down to raise the paddles which let water into the lock. For more details of Canal boating holidays visit Boating Holidays and Short Breaks

Locking through - balance beam on the last lock of the Oxford Canal - photo courtesy JB

Restoration and campaigning work continues to be undertaken on behalf of the Canals &ndash our great national asset, like the River Thames &ndash by such notables as David Suchet and Lionel Monk and by the tireless efforts of the enthusiasts of the Inland Waterways Association and the Waterways Recovery Group.

The following pages are devoted to aspects of the Canals that connect with the River Thames. Click on them to obtain further information


Blisworth Tunnel

Blisworth Tunnel, in Northamptonshire, is one of the longest in Britain. 3076 yards long and broad enough for two narrowboats to pass, it is surpassed only by Standedge Tunnel (on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal) and Dudley Tunnel in the Black Country near Birmingham.

Building Blisworth Tunnel, was the most troublesome part of the Grand Junction Canal's (now known as the Grand Union Canal) construction. When work began, in 1793, the building of a 3km tunnel was a major feat of engineering with no mechanical aids beyond the basic picks, shovels and wheelbarrows available. To add to their basic problems, just three years into the project the navvies hit quicksand. All work had to be abandoned and a new course begun.

Once built, Blisworth had a tunnel tug until 1936.


Gayton Wood Farm/Mining the Gayton Parish


View Larger Map
An overview of the history of the mining/quarrying relating to the former Northampton & Banbury Junction railway (which became the former Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction railway – SMJ) in the area of Gayton, a village near Blisworth in the county of Northamptonshire (bridge 1 to bridge 5)

Mining of the earth’s natural resources in the Blisworth area of Northamptonshire has been evident for many centuries. This short piece is, if nothing else a way of me putting things straight in my head in relationship to quarrying in the area and the new railway.
This new line, which started out in May 1866 as the Northampton & Banbury Junction railway, (N&BJR) opening as it did a short section from Blisworth on the main London, Birmingham line of Stephenson, 1838 to Towcester was built on the premise of the movement of all the ore from the area. The Towcester section was subsequently followed up by an extension to a junction with the LMW,R at Cockley Brake and so into Banbury.

The company had great plans to run onto South Wales but these plans were never realised and the company was to struggle to survive. The N&BJR became part of the SMJ in 1910 , the section between Blisworth and Towcester having built strong links with the mining/quarrying in the parish of Gayton in the interim years. Mining/quarrying was evident on both sides of the line and transhipment points had been constructed along the branch.

The SMJ’s bridge 1 took the minor road from Blisworth to Rothersthorpe over the line then immediately alongside that (and still is – bridge 1 having been demolished in reference to the construction of the Blisworth bypass) was a small bridge over the London to Birmingham line of 1838. The road down to the Walnut Inn (formerly the station pub) sits on the former SMJ trackbed.

As we travel along the line from Blisworth to Towcester we can see the line of a chord facing north which ran from the main line and came in to run parallel with the SMJ albeit initially substantially lower than the SMJ which at this point was on an embankment. This private line I believe to be the Blisworth Ironstone sidings, it most certainly did meet up with tramway which passed over SMJ bridge 2 a few tens of chains along which fed quarries on both sides of the N&BJ,R. These sidings were connected to, or were in fact Wheldon’s sidings. Around 1888, Wheldon’s sidings moved from a location a few chains further west and a simple transhipment point was created in the shape of an over-bridge running across 3 or 4 sidings from where quarried material was tipped from the lesser tramway wagons into mainline wagons to be taken away. The private sidings had a connection with the N&BJ,R which had closed by 1927. The Blisworth Ironstone sidings themselves were completely lifted by 1950 although their bed can been seen clearly on Google today.

The Wheldon’s sidings itself undertook a number of changes in its life and having moved in 1888 from further west did run under bridge 3 which carried the Gayton/Blisworth road alongside the N&BJ,R. At one point having both a West and East connection, materials were able to be taken from nearby quarry workings from the tramways and onto the N&BJ.R/SMJ and taken away.

One mystery as we continue our journey from Blisworth comes in the shape of bridge 1A. There are two unnumbered culverts which pass beneath the line at this point to aid drainage but bridge 1A doesn't quite fit in . 58 chains along and listed as 1A on the piers that remain, and listed as such on the bridge detail, a document which is available here Bridge numbers

Bridge 1A’s main supports are quite complete, consisting of several straight brick towers looking like they’d hold a simple flat platform across the culvert which runs to the north side of the track bed. They are alongside what became Richard Thomas’s sidings, which fed the quarrying at the Gayton Wood Farm site – but not until 1940’s, more of which to follow. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/albums/richard-thomasthe-tramway

At the site of bridge 1A on an early map from around 1870 there is something which passes under the (or so it seems) the new railway dog-legging left to join the Gayton/Blisworth road passing over the previously mentioned transhipment point and Wheldon’s sidings. Remember, The sidings of Richard Thomas’s didn’t come into being until the 1940’s. It is possible that the track bed at this
point took on a slightly different look to what it became .

And so to bridge 2. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/bridge-2 context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165 Bridge 2 (of which the north pier still remains) at 58 chains was just past the former junction with the former Wheldon’s sidings, which would explain the existence of a P-Way hut (still extant) on the spot. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/permanent-way-hut-along-side/next?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
The area was awash with quarrying both sides of the line. Along with the main railway lines, many temporary tramways were set up, being constantly moved and extended to keep up with the quarrying. The large field alongside bridge 2 to the south (I will call it field 1) was no exception.

From before 1900 field 1 had been plundered for its many resources and so warranted connections to both the railway, and the canal at Blisworth. Bridge 2 took a tramway across the then N&BJ,R to the transhipment point where Wheldon’s sidings met the Blisworth Ironstone sidings, initially running straight into the field due south as this is where the quarrying was.

Around the same time quarrying began in the field to the west of the previous field (I shall call it field 2) and so further transhipment points were required.

https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/alignment-of-gayton-wood-farm?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
A tramway was set up which went to the railway at one end, and the canal at the other. There were 2 railway over-bridges around this point, bridges 4 and 5. Bridge 4 was an occupation bridge for Gayton Wilds Farm and bridge 5 too, an occupation bridge. Bridge 4 though seemed to have once taken a trackway across it as seen on an early 19th century map, bridge 5 was too possibly a tramway
bridge as there is evidence of a tramway from the quarrying to a simple transhipment point in connection with Wheldon’s original sidings in-between bridges 4 and 5 which consisted of a simple Shute system for transferring quarried materials to mainline wagons from tramway wagons. Wheldon’s sidings here were connected to the N&BJ,R. A further tramway ran north from here to further quarries south of Gayton village.

Field 2 was to the north of an area of quarrying which became Gayton Wood Farm which was amongst some of the last quarry in the area – working as it did ‘til the late 60’s and it too supported several tramways. I imagine when mining in field 1 became exhausted, (dates seem to support a slow movement west of the quarrying) a bridge was built under the Gayton/Blisworth road (and I would say quite a while ago – possibly around 1900/1920.

The bridges which are still extant today (but may not have been the original ones) and the tramway which came over bridge 2 was diverted under the new bridge to support the quarrying in field
2. As stated, quarrying, and the subsequent support needed such as tramways were a very fluid affair. Tramways were extended to where the quarrying was. In the early 40’s the sidings of Richard Thomas’s were constructed. 3 sidings which ran parallel with the then SMJ and fed by ground frames at each end at around 68 chains from Blisworth.

https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/gayton-wood-farm-branch?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
The line passed through a small cutting and over a slight embankment on its relatively steep journey down to the SMJ. Passing through field 1 and into field 2 it sprouted many tramways along the way and, as the quarry had passed on that way under another concrete bridge into the quarries of Gayton Wood Farm which ran down to the former Blisworth/Towcester road.

The line to Gayton Wood from Richard Thomas’s sidings was of mainline standard and at Gayton Wood farm engines sheds, a weighbridge and a maintenance department were built to service
and support the locos which worked there as well as moving, weighing etc the outgoing quarrying materials before they passed under the two concrete bridges on their way down the hill to Richard Thomas’s.

Gayton Wood was worked until 1968. It’s huge excavators a feature landmark of the Blisworth area. The noise, the sounds of drilling and excavating well know to the people of Blisworth.

Now all gone, all that remains are the over-grown memories, the engine sheds are still there at Gayton Wood and the quarrying holes have conveniently filled with water and fish! A small hut which once might have been an inspectors hut or similar sits in the middle of one of the fishing lakes, half poking out of the waters looking somewhat incongruous and in for an unsure future. The fields about are full of humps and bumps of a bygone age.

The SMJ tracked bed can be walked from bridge 3 all the way to the Walnut Inn at Blisworth which will serve you a nice drink for your efforts. There are more questions than answers along the way so if you have a few – do let me know and hopefully someone will have the corresponding answers!

The action on the map above all happens bottom left. Note Gayton House, the Tiffield/Blisworth road and all the tramways/rail lines between Gayton Wood Farm and the then N&B Junction railway.


أقفال

When Benjamin Bevan was given the job of designing locks at Foxton he faced two major problems. The first was water, which was in short supply on the 20 mile summit pound of the canal. The second was the steep escarpment which he needed to use to get the canal from one level to the next. He combined solutions to both problems.

Work on Foxton Locks started in 1810 and was officially opened 4 years later in 1814. A trip through the ten locks takes about 45 minutes to ascend/descend the 75 ft rise. The ten locks consist of two "staircases" of five, located on the Leicester line of the Grand Union Canal, about 5 km west of the Leicestershire town of Market Harborough.

GRAND UNION

The Grand Junction Canal was built to improve the communications between Birmingham and the Midlands and London. It received its Act in 1793 and was fully opened in 1805. Its major engineering works were the two long tunnels at Blisworth and Braunston, and the long and deep cutting at Tring summit. اقرأ أكثر

INCLINED PLANE

Opened in 1900. With the coming of the railways, competition was starting to bite. Fellows Morton and Clayton (FMC) wanted to use bigger boats to take coal from the north to the London factories. The lift was built by J & H Gwynne of Hammersmith, London. They got the job as they proposed using hydraulic power for the gates and ancillary equipment. It consisted of two tanks or caissons linked by wire rope. A steam driven winch at the top wound the rope on to one side of its drum and simultaneously let it off the other, raising and lowering the tanks. Each tank was full of water and weighed 230 tons with or without a boat. Two boats or one barge would fit in to each tank. The gradient was 1 in 4. CONTINUED on Foxton Inclined Plane Trust web site

GRAND UNION LEICESTER SECTION

What is now called the &lsquoLeicester Line&rsquo comprised two canals which were bought by the Grand Junction Canal in 1894: the Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canal and the &lsquoold&rsquo Grand Union Canal.

The river Soar had been made navigable up to Loughborough by 1780, and the route was extended to Leicester in 1794. The Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canal was promoted to continue the waterway to Market Harborough and Northampton, where it would meet the River Nene and the planned branch from the Grand Junction Canal at Gayton.

By 1797, when construction had only reached Gumley Debdale, the money had been used up. More was raised in 1805, and the canal got to Market Harborough four years later. اقرأ أكثر


How much is my home worth?

Get closer to what matters

Find an agent

Explore Zoopla

Build your business

Links to Zoopla's social media accounts

Legal and corporate information

© 2021 Zoopla Limited. كل الحقوق محفوظة.

Sold house prices provided by Land Registry/Registers of Scotland. © Crown copyright 2021 .

Our website is completely free for you to use but we may receive a commission from some of the companies we link to on the site.

*Zoopla Limited is an appointed representative of Uswitch Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 312850) to provide this mortgage comparison service.

**Uswitch Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference number 312850. The Home insurance comparison service is provided by Autonet Insurance Services Ltd, registered in England No. 3642372. Autonet Insurance Services Ltd has its registered office at Nile Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 2BA United Kingdom. AutoNet Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (Registration number: 308213).

***Based on a search within the London postcode areas (E, EC, N, NW, SE, SW, W, WC) on other UK online property portals. As of 11 Mar 2019.


شاهد الفيديو: اكدح كدح اقطع قطع#ايقاعات بطيئة ممنوع الاقتراب 2017 الفنان فادي سعدون ورجا حديد (أغسطس 2022).